Friday, January 28, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!!!

We caught a Lion Fish yesterday just off of Conch Cay. The Lion Fish is not natural to this part of the world. It has been accidentally introduced and has continuously migrated north. Currently it has moved all the way up to the coast of North Carolina. The Lion Fish is a very aggressive eater and has very few natural enemies here. I have seen pictures recently of a large Grouper eating a Lion Fish... its a pretty interesting story and can be found on many websites just by using Google. We threw him back, but later were told that they are good to eat. The 1st 4 spines on top, we were told, can be clipped and that will do away with the painful sting. I think I'll stick to other species to eat, although if the fishing doesn't pick up I may have to resort to Lion Steak!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment