Monday, February 28, 2011

Fish On!!

We tried to catch a shark off the dock behind the house on Saturday night while Brian was here.  I set up a Shamano 50 with a 125 pound test line leader.  The first bait was taken in less then 15 minutes.  I re rigged a similar set up and it was broken off in 10 or 15 minutes.  Sunday morning I rigged up with 30 feet of 200 pound test line and a 3 foot terminal leader or 7 strand wire. I was ready for the late afternoon bite! I set the drag on the reel a little lighter and stayed around the porch so I could hear it go off.  Well... on Saturday I had fresh fish heads and fresh Barracuda as bait, so last night using older bait I was not as confident that we'd get a bite.  In fact, it sat out there for close to an hour and no bites.  Craig, John Paul, Andre, Danielle, and the kids came by to see if we had caught the shark and I was telling them I was going to pull the line in... all of the sudden the line began to rip off.  The black tip shark ran off 50 to 60 yards of line and jumped several times.  He was no match for the new set up and was brought to the boat/dock in just a few minutes.  Craig took this picture.  I was able to release the shark and he took off faster than ever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment